The following information will clarify the procedure of obtaining a student VISA and other required documents when going abroad. Visa requirements can be different from consulate to consulate; therefore it is necessary to read further information which will help you to obtain the required documents. Please, check the closest Spanish embassy or consulate to your home address.
Note: in case you are looking for our visa premium consultancy services please, look here: https://www.spain-internship.com/en/faq/visa-services
When do you need to apply for a VISA?
If you are not an EU citizen you do not need a student visa. If you are:
- Unpaid internship/volunteer: Some countries may not have the need to apply for a tourist visa to enter into Spain so entering into Spain without a VISA may be possible. But, as you are coming as student, you should always apply for a student visa and this is our recommendation. Please, check in your consulate, countries such as The USA do not need to apply for volunteer work but this is an exception.
- List of countries that DO NOT need a VISA for unpaid internship/volunteer: ANDORRA | ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA | ARGENTINA | AUSTRALI | BAHAMAS | BARBADOS | BRASIL | BRUNEI | COLOMBIA | DARUSSALAM | CANADA | CHILE | SOUTH KOREA | COSTA RICA | EL SALVADOR | USA | GUATEMALA | HONDURAS | ISRAEL | JAPAN | MALAYSIA | MAURICE | MEXICO | MONACO | NICARAGUA | NEW ZEALAND | PANAMA | PARAGUAY | SAINT CHRISTOPHER AND NEVIS | SAN MARINO | VATICAN CITY | SEYCHELLES | SINGAPORE | URUGUAY | VENEZUELA | Región Administrativa Especial de HONG-KONG (República Popular de China) | Región Administrativa Especial de MACAO (República Popular de China)
- Paid internship: If the position is paid you always need a STUDENT VISA.
Students that need a VISA can find their consulate’s website by clicking on following link: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal/es/ServiciosAlCiudadano/Paginas/EmbajadasConsulados.aspx
(ORIGINAL PLUS ONE COPY OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS):
1. National Visa Application form, completed and signed.
2. Two recent pictures, passport size pictures (white background) glued to the application forms.
3. Passport valid for a minimum of six months and at least two empty pages.
4. Training agreement including: name of the program, duration (start date and end date of the program), school's address, the name and phone number of the person to contact at the school in Spain and hours of study per week (20 at least).
Since August 2018, you do not need it signed by the company, more information here: https://www.spain-internship.com/en/news/809-regulation-interns-spain-2019
5. Information about the study program.
6. Proof of health insurance coverage during your stay in Spain, for urgent medical expenses and repatriation due to accident or sudden illness. Minimun coverages $50,000 with no deductible (confirmation of coverage) issued by the insurance company (in Spanish) In this certificate the following information must be included, inexcusably:
i. Insured data.
ii. Start and end date of the insurance contracted.
iii. Coverage of the policy: it must offer similar coverages that those provided by the National Health System. Thus, it should cover both general and specialized assistance, hospitalization, surgical interventions, etc.
iv. Existing grace periods.
For fundamental benefits (such as hospitalization, surgical intervention, etc.), only a maximum period of six months will be accepted, as long as a non-application clause is also included in case of "accident or vital emergency".
v. Maximum economic limitations with respect to some coverage (expressed in euros). In case of any limitation, this must be equal to or greater than € 100,000.
Existence of co-payments. In general, co-payments of more than € 10 will not be accepted.
vii. To be up to date in the payment thereof.
7. Visa Fee, payable with MONEY ORDER to the order of "CONSULATE GENERAL OF SPAIN".
Just required occasionally:
8. Proof of means of support in the form of:
• If you go with an international program, present a letter from the study-abroad program assuming full financial responsibility for tuition, room and board for the student during his/her stay in Spain
• Bank statements showing sufficient means of support to cover all the expenses in Spain
• Notarized letter from parents assuming full financial responsibility for the student during the entire stay in Spain. Attach copy of the parent's ID, bank statement and birth certificate of the student.
• Proof of having received financial aid or scholarship covering expenses for tuition, room, board, and personal expenses during the stay in Spain.
9. Proof of accommodation in the form of:
• Notarized invitation issued in Spain from a Spanish national or a Spanish legal permanent resident in Spain.
• Letter from the study-abroad program specifying the address where the student will be staying.
10. Local Health Certificate with letterhead, stamp, and signature of the Doctor translated into Spanish.
Effective immediately, June 2009, health certificates submitted to this office must verify that applicant/patient is free of any illnesses that could have serious repercussions to public health and that could easily spread internationally.
The first list includes smallpox, poliomyelitis by wild poliovirus, the human influenza caused by a new subtype of virus and the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). The second list includes cholera, pneumonic plague, yellow fever, viral hemorrhagic fevers (e.g.: Ebola, Lassa, Marburg), West Nile Virus and other illnesses of special importance nationally or regionally (e.g.: Dengue Fever, Rift Valley Fever and meningococcal disease).
11. Original certificate of good conduct (police clearance) issued by the US Department of Justice - Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Required only for applicant 18 years and older.
12. Proof of sufficient financial support: bank statements, investments and any other source of income.
13. Proof of accommodation (to show an address in Spain).
Remember to check the closest embassy / consulate in order to know which documents you will need.
Are you thinking about doing an internship abroad? Spain Internship specialises in connecting students, universities and companies to organise internships that meet the requirements of all parties.
Apply now completely free of charge to begin looking for the perfect internship for you. Click the apply button below to being your search!